To make your own escharotomy training model, you will need:
1. A thick foam yoga mat (red or pink). This one was $10 from K-Mart.
3. A roll of thin packing foam — the sort of stuff your new TV comes wrapped in.
4. Some elastic bands.
5. Around 4-5 rolls of white Cloth Tape (similar to Gaffer tape but much cheaper).
6. A pair of trauma shears
7. A resuscitation mannequin.
1. Cut the yoga mat into sections and wrap circumferentially around the torso and limbs of your mannequin. Wrap cling film firmly over the top to secure it in place. This red/pink layer represents the viable tissue beneath the eschar — i.e. the end-point of the escharotomy procedure.
2. Next, simulate subcutaneous tissue by adding 2-3 circumferential layers of packing foam to the torso and limbs. Elastic bands can be applied to the limbs…
View original post 242 more words